I just wrapped up my first oil and gas expo and it was more than I could have expected. It sure felt like all 17,000 people showed up! I had a great time learning new things, meeting new people, and having the opportunity to tell others what Croft is about and what sets us apart. Of course, one of the many things that sets us apart is our Passive Dehydration System. This system dehydrates gas in a safer, more reliable, and more economical way than Triethylene Glycol Units.
While I was at our booth at the expo, I met with and spoke to many people. I loved telling others about Croft and how we could help with their gas processing needs. One gentleman however, stood out to me. He was drawn to our booth because he saw the words, “Passive Dehydration System.” The reason why those words stood out to him was because he has always used TEG units in the past to dehydrate his gas. Due to an incident he had in 2005, he has grown to distrust TEG units and was interested in learning more about our PDS which contains no moving parts, uses non-hazardous desiccant, simple and safe maintenance, etc. He has kindly let me share his story to help explain just how dangerous these units can be.
This is his story:
This happened back in May of 2005. (pics are dated 5-8-2005)
I was called out to trouble shoot problems with 3 wells that were producing on a Gas Lift system. When I arrived I found that the TEG unit was not in operation and started trouble shooting the TEG unit. The temp was down around 200 degrees so I check the burner and relight the unit. As the temp was reaching 285 degrees, I then began checking to see why the Kimray Glycol pump was not operating. The glycol pump was located just under edge of the reboiler. So I knelt down and leaned in to check the valves that control the speed of the pump. After adjusting the valves (speed) several rounds, I noticed that the pump was not responding to the adjustments. Just as I was about to close the valves to reduce the speed, the blockage/trash in the pump gave way and it started pumping at a very high rate. So I began closing the valves. Before I could get the pump stopped, the boiling fluid came out of the still column and splashed down on my right shoulder. With my head down I was totally unaware of the piping on top of the still column had not been piped to a safe location. There I was in a very remote location, alone and badly burned. From this point I had to get to the hospital for treatment.
That’s my story and to this day I’m very cautious around TEG units and to this day I’m so glad it didn’t splash on my head.
As this gentleman was telling me his story, I couldn’t help but think of how Croft Production Systems started and how our first PDS came about. Due to a TEG explosion on one of his well sites, CEO Preston Croft thought there had to be a better way to dehydrate your gas. From this, he designed and manufactured his first Passive Dehydration Unit (PDS).
The TEG units are dangerous in many ways. Some of these ways include multiple moving parts, open flames, safety hazards, releases toxic emissions and use of a flammable chemical. Whereas the PDS has no moving parts, has zero flames, releases limited emissions, and uses a non-hazardous desiccant to dehydrate the gas which dissolves into a safe brine solution.
TEG units run the risk for safety concerns such as severe burns such as this gentleman, explosions such as Preston Croft’s story, and fires. As you can see from the picture below, these dangers and risks are real, which is just the reason the PDS offers a safer approach to dehydrating your gas.
I am thankful that this gentleman was there to share his story with me. I am even more thankful we offer an alternative approach to dehydrate your gas. Click below to read more about our Passive Dehydration System.